Long Drop Cave

Long Drop Cave

Home Forums Log Book Long Drop Cave

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rob
    Participant

Present: Dunc & Rob
    Weather: foul

A revisit to Long Drop after a near 9 year absence chosen because it’s quite a good wet weather option. The last time we used Dave Ramsay’s ropes so a first time rigging. Some chap called Simon Wilson has installed new hangers on all the pitches which are of a new design (by him according to Dunc and descent). These are marked TAU and appear to work just as well as other anchors I have used.
    The first pitch (12) is easy enough, quickly followed by the second (10m) which is more awkward as it’s a little small at the pitch head. We rigged the last 2 pitches with one rope (45m) although this was only just enough!
    Just above the last pitch there is another rope on the other side of the chamber that leads, via a few awkward crawls, to a parallel streamway. I only partly explored this on this occasion having almost fully explored it last time but it is well worth the time and effort (without SRT kit).
    Yet another excellent evening trip followed by beers in the quiet Royal Oak in Hornby.

Dunc

These new anchors do the job: http://www.resinanchor.co.uk/6.html – for the “Wainwright style” topos.

Went to the downstream sump in Long Drop, with those tantalising avens making you wonder what more is to be found..

Don
    Participant

Sharman and I saw those types of hangers when we did It’s a Cracker a year ago (according to the website they’re in use in Long Drop, It’s a Crack and Rift Pot). Neither one of us had ever seen any hangers like that before. And now we know why.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login