Slit Cave/Snool's Hole

Slit Cave/Snool's Hole

Home Forums Log Book Slit Cave/Snool's Hole

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rob
    Participant

This part of Penyghent Gill can be a lesson in alliteration if you like that kind of thing.

Two of us (Dunc & Rob) headed down the very steep bank, past Swan Dike towards Snool’s Hole. This was first on our list followed by Slut cave, Slit Cave, Slit Pot, Slab Pot and a look at Snorkel cave. So with Snool’s, Slit, Slut, Slab, Slit and Snorkel, it wasn’t that surprising that we got confused!
    Anyway, the entrance to Snool’s resembles the wet descent in Roaring with a waterfall going down a drum. For the record, NC states it’s currently blocked but it isn’t. The way on is a nice chamber followed by crawling to flat out crawling until the Grimbit is reached. The name is not an understatement and is awful. After getting 3/4 through, my mouth was full of silt and I backed out. Dunc didn’t fancy it so no further progress was made (shame because it sounds good after this). Note: more removal of silt from the Grimbit is required and make sure you wear a neofleece in this cave.

Back out we headed towards the other S’s. We found Snorkel easily, had a look inside, moved on. We came across Slit Cave easily and moved on again to locate Slit and Slab Pots. We thought we found them when we found 3 holes but these were blocked with debris so we mistakenly assumed that was that. Bugger, we were few metres misplaced! Easily done in the pitch black.
    So we headed back to Slit Cave. I went in and wriggled through a tight-ish bit to a chamber where there appeared no way on except an awkward free climb so I went out again. Dunc got the survey out which suggested the free climb was the way on. Back in again and up the free climb. This is not the easiest free climb but not the hardest either. The way on is good with a few cascades and some crawling until a too tight cascade blocks progress. It’s a shame someone hasn’t widened this section really.
    So a bit disappointing that we didn’t locate some of the caves we had intended to visit but a return is certain as this is an interesting part of Penyghent Gill with a lot of short caves of moderate difficulty.

Beers were had in the new pub in Settle (my van).

Xandar

If only you told me beforehand you were there. I was staying over in the bunk barn near Foxup with my caving gear in my boot. Was doing walking but went for a quick trip down Sleets gill, would have blown off walking altogether if I knew you guys were there.

Dunc

Bloody hell, you could have walked up to us! We gave up posting on the forum a long time back as there was never any interest in our evening trips.

The descriptions in the NC books are very useful for night-time ventures like these – shame we didn’t have any with us this time! Good evening though, despite not seeing everything we intended to.

rob
    Participant

What did I say to you Dunc on the way up, re Alex??

Dunc

Rob, I doubt there’s a mobile signal in Foxup… And to be fair we didn’t know we were doing Pyg-Gill until we were on the way up (another reason why we don’t post on the forum – it’s a very flexible system we have, taking best advantage of the weather on the day etc).

rob
    Participant

Aye, it’s all true

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login