55 hours underground

55 hours underground

Home Forums Log Book 55 hours underground

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Xandar

To describe 217 would be to take start with Henslers pot , but instead of coming out at near the bottom, the exit drops you onto the top of Gaping gill main shaft/yoyo. Now multiply the shaft by two and you are at camp in 217 after another shorter pitch that is.

This was where I would be spending the next two days underground.

I first experianced the Henslers part of this cave on Christmass eve, moving the camping gear in, that trip alone took 7 hours. Lots of narrow rifts low crawls and a couple of tight pitches and lots of other pitches.

We had originally planned to do the camping trip on Christmass day, however illness had put a stop to that and a day of plumbing was had instead. We still have not hot water and it has been a week
    or so (at the time of writing since I have had a shower).

I digress… so boxing day was the day of reckoning, we were through the henslers section and onto the big pitch. After a few rebelays was a 90m hang down an impressive Yoyo sized shaft. The shaft contined for another 100m further yet we swung off onto a balcony.

From here a sereies of y-hangs dropped us down past several ledges back into the main shaft where we eventually hit solid ground in a massive rift chamber. The passage unfortunately soon closes down and a short crawl leads to a short pitch and camp. It took us some 6 hours to get here and another 2 to set up. No time for pushing today, so we spent a few hours in the chamber above taking photo’s and the like.

Once sorted we ate and went to bed, I awoke 2 hours later with an al-mighty stomach cramp…. to be continued.

Scaife
    Participant

Once sorted we ate and went to bed, I awoke 2 hours later with an al-mighty stomach cramp…. to be continued.

Way to leave us all on tenterhooks!
    What happened next: did you explore miles and miles of virgin passage, or did you shit yourself?

Chris Sharman

Sounds awesome.

Dazofcaving
    Participant

Impressive they have Wi-Fi down there :scratch:

Dazofcaving

Cavedan
    Participant

Haha, sounds like you had a fun trip!

rob
    Participant

Alex, have you got pictures of the China expedition?

Xandar

I do need to finish this off. I should upload my photo’s tonight but there won’t be many.

Xandar

Okay instead of reading it here, I have written it as agreed for our Journal. Chris, (Scaif) I have just e-mailed you can you let me know if you have gotten it or not?

Chris Sharman

Can we see it on the private log?

Scaife
    Participant

I’ve got it.
    You’ll just have to wait for the journal Chris (Shaman).

Don
    Participant

You’ll just have to wait for the journal, Chris (Shaman).
    *, :yahoo:

Xandar

Well here’s a quick video of the nicer bits of the caves to keep you going…

Asia caving

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login