Cwm Orthin Mine/Go-Below 4/5 March 2017

Cwm Orthin Mine/Go-Below 4/5 March 2017

Home Forums Log Book Cwm Orthin Mine/Go-Below 4/5 March 2017

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris Sharman

8 in all, mostly Swaledale members, attended this trip.
    Apparently the owner is quite willing to allow cavers access, although it’s normally sold as a guided trip open to the public, with essential gear rental included (harness, 2 * long cow’s tails, tandem pulley (cable or speed variant, not rope). We stayed in the Plas Curig hostel, which is fine, but a bit pricey at £50 each for two nights in bunks in dorm rooms. There’s apparently a bunkhouse next door at £7 – but I’m assured it’s horrible.
    There’s quite a few traverses which scare off some of the public customers, and there’s quite a few zip wires, including ‘the longest underground zip wire in the world’ (130m) – which is unavailable unless you have two official guides – but as it involves being lowered through a stop it’s not that exciting. There’s plenty of other zip wires though, mostly close to horizontal so no braking problems.
    There’s something like 64 miles of passages, I believe – scope for quite a lot of exploration.
    There’s also the Croesor / Rosydd through trip in the same area.
    We were planning to do Rhiwbach Mine on the Sunday, but this was abandoned due to heavy snow – with one road closed, and a truly horrible walk-in with real prospect of finding ourselves snowed in later we decided to abandon.

Xandar

Wow sounds like fun. I too was down a mine Sunday but was no where near as exciting.

cavegod
    Blocked

no one seemed interested in this trip when i posted it two years ago :scratch:

Chris Sharman

Have some pictures – not very good, but give an idea.
    Can upload them here or mail a link (31 pics, 47Mb) if anyone’s interested.

Don
    Participant

Post them here if you can.

Chris Sharman

Can you see this ?

Xandar

Nope you will have to change your privacy settings to everyone I guess? Though I thought I was a friend of yours on Facebook and I still can’t see it.

Chris Sharman

Here’s my copy of Bob’s album.
    If you can’t see it tell me (and friend me on facebook)

https://www.facebook.com/chris.sharman.733/media_set?set=a.1632340356782910.1073741834.100000208842998&type=3

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login