Heron Pot solo, 27/12/20

Heron Pot solo, 27/12/20

Home Forums Log Book Heron Pot solo, 27/12/20

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Scaife
    Participant

I was supposed to be on another CNCC conservation trip today, to continue the work to stabilise the entrance to Knacker Trapper. But when that was cancelled at the last minute (I’m glad it was – it would have been a horrible day for a surface dig) I thought I’d continue my soloing career with a trip to Heron Pot. I was in this cave just a few months ago, but it seemed like a good wet weather solo option that wouldn’t take up too much of the day.

Boy, was it cold. The highlight of this cave is of course the High Traverse, which is usually completely dry. Today there was water flowing down the initial climb up, and so much water going down the Traditional Route pitches that it was fairly splashy at the foot of the pitch, even though the Traverse pitch lands about five metres from the foot of the Traditional Route. It’s an enjoyable traverse, where an ability to do the splits is a big advantage, culminating in a Y-hang from a handy ledge. I pushed on as far as the wet crawl, then turned around to experience the joys of the High Traverse one more time. Underground for less than an hour and a half, I emerged into a hailstorm.

Chris Sharman

Sounds impressively wet. Did you look at the exit?

Scaife
    Participant

No, I turned back when I reached a point where I’d need to soak myself to continue, still quite far from the exit. It wasn’t a low airspace or anything, but I was a bit cold and I knew I’d be a lot colder walking down the hill.

Don
    Participant

Your turning into Alex, solo boy. Next thing you know you’ll be doing solo trips to the bottom of Quaking.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login