Barbon pot 02/03/2019

Barbon pot 02/03/2019

Home Forums Log Book Barbon pot 02/03/2019

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Xandar

Only two were in attendance (Sharman and Alex).

We would have saved this trip for Don as we know he want’s to do it, but me and Chris could not think of anywhere else to go, especially with the rain forecast.

Chris at entrance

Off we popped straight to the cave, thanks goes to Don pointing it out to me last time. Once there we found a old and new very green rope going down the entrance pitch, which went all the way to the bottom. Safe to say we ignored this and rigged our own rope. We contemplated de-rigging the old rope, but it’s not our rope. The deviation on the “1st” short pitch can be ignored provided, on the return you climb back up and don’t prussic. The y-hang for the main drop is err interesting, the left-anchor is rigged off a very large boulder in the shakehole, a large boulder that is held up by a large stone and that is about it!

Barbon ent pitch

Once at the bottom, the precarious boulder theme continues as the way on is to follow the well travelled route down and through the boulders, reminding me a little of Nemesis boulder choke in Langcliffe, but this was much shorter. At the end, a flat out crawl leads to a scramble down several slopes and an awkward drop into more chambers. A flat out crawl from here leads to a muddy slope where a small stream is joined. It’s important here to remember the route you came in as it took us about 30 minutes to find the scramble back up to the crawl on the way out.

More bouldery passage with easy squeezes followed until we reached a rather awkward section. Like an easy version of Langcliffe Boireau Falls choke.

Boulder squeeze

Here is where one needs to squeeze through the first one and then manoeuvre yourself for the next squeeze which was the tightest bit of the cave, where Chris thought he would have to turn around after reading the description. He did not, after that things got really loose and mobile until a scramble up out of the boulders brought some relief in another chamber.
    Kern

A quick crawl and nicer passage brought us to another squeeze in the stream. Now there are no flood warnings on this cave but a few inches rise in the water would make this impassible. Chris almost did turn around at this point as this was rather tight too, but I convinced him he would fit, which he did but paid for it by ripping a big hole in his over-suit.

Very nice, big passage followed until the final chamber 66 was reached and more photos taken.

Chamber 66

There was a continuation as a flat out crawl but it closed down after about 10 feet and would need digging. We finished up by retracing our steps and finding an alternative but no easier way back through part of the cave before we then got lost for a bit as mentioned above.

Once out of the cave we tried to find the buried entrance to Bucket on the head to try and dig it out but there was no sign of it, unless we were somehow looking in the wrong place that entrance is truly lost.

It was only 3 hours but it was a worthwhile trip for its length plenty of variety.

Don
    Participant

I seem to recall reading a White or Red Rose trip report somewhat recently that said there is a low bedding plane at the end of the cave. It suggested that it would be possible for someone thin to push it, but that it would require a lot of nerve to do so given how constricted it is. Did you see anything like that?

How long did the trip take?

What are the two squeezes like? (never been in Langcliffe, so that description doesn’t help)

Chris Sharman

They’re not bad, but the general looseness & mobility is slightly off-putting.

Xandar

They would need digging out Don, there is no way one could get through without going head first and collecting the cobbles and bringing them out. Definitely dig-able though, you would prob make progress after a few trips. I made adjustments to the trip report which it seems answers most of your questions except for the sqeeze one.

Xandar

If we ever did want to dig it, I would say a small bucket, 20 – 30ft rope and crow-bar would be all that is required. Perhaps a trowel as there are other possibilities near by.

Don
    Participant

Is it just cobbles, or dirt as well? I would imagine cobbles could be very easily removed. As long as there is somewhere spacious nearby to dump them.

Xandar

Cobbles is all I could see but there could be dirt underneath them. Plenty of room in the chamber just before the final crawl. (Hence the need for a 20ft rope to pull them all back to that chamber). However you would have to clear a lot of them I could see about 10ft of passage that needs digging out.

Xandar

P.s. I would happily go back down it with you Don to dig it. We just need to find a suitible bucket (maybe from our old lanc dig) and a crow bar to leaver out the cobbles.

Xandar

P.s. I would happily go back down it with you Don to dig it. We just need to find a suitible bucket (maybe from our old lanc dig) and a small crow bar to leaver out the cobbles.

Scaife
    Participant

Sounds like a fun cave. I’d also be up for a dig in there.

Don
    Participant

I’m up for a dig as well. It sounds like the place has potential. I wonder why no one has given it a go already.

Xandar

I am also more then happy to do this as an alternative to the Lost Johns trip tomorrow, do you have a crow bar Chris and suitable digging bucket? Unless you are still injured Don and we will save it for another time.

Scaife
    Participant

We can do this Barbon Pot trip any time, but tomorrow is a pre-Matienzo trip that was planned a while ago and we have told people we are going, so I will be doing Lost Johns tomorrow.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login