Black Shiver, 7th of Feb

Black Shiver, 7th of Feb

Home Forums Log Book Black Shiver, 7th of Feb

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Scaife
    Participant

Cavers: Chris Scaife, Don Miller, Alex Ritchie, Dan Jackson, Mike Skyrme, Chris Sharman

Mike and Sharman were in a hurry, so ran off to rig with Don’s ropes and my carefully crafted laminated rigging guide and map, leaving the rest of us in Inglesport to enjoy a leisurely breakfast. We then headed out into quite dense fog, but were lucky and found the cave without too much fannying around.
    After the entrance climb there’s a short, wet crawl, then 3 short pitches in quick succession. The third, Black Dub, lands in a pool with a traverse around the edge. The water in this pool was far shallower than I thought and we could have easily managed without a traverse rope. There is then another short wet bit followed by Thunder Pot, which leads straight onto the 82m main pitch, Black Rift. We met up with Mike and Sharman at this point and Dan took a few pictures. Dangling in space above an 80m drop on 9.5mm Spelenium gold while Dan works tirelessly to achieve the perfect photograph is more unnerving than you might think.
    Some more crawling and stuff led to a 6m pitch, then like walking and crawling and traversing and we were at the sump. All very pleasant caving with no real issues.

But.

At the foot of the 6m pitch, Wacko Jacko shouted out, “Shit!”
    I thought maybe he’d stubbed his toe or something, but no, he’d forgotten his hand jammer. Sharing and lowering someone else’s jammer down 6m pitches is fine, but the 82m pitch with a rebelay and 3 deviations posed something of a quandary. Sir Isaac H. NewtDon came up with a most ingenious way to overcome this terrible problem and in the end, Don went up first, then Alex went to the rebelay and Don lowered his jammer down to the rebelay; Alex descended past the deviation, having unclipped the lower deviation, and lowered Don’s hand jammer down on the rope. Alex then headed out and Dan and I were able to get out semi-normally.
    After this mensa-tastic ascent, the rest of the cave was literally a walk in the park. I mean, figuratively.
    Ten years ago, Black Shiver was my first ever Black Rose trip, so of course I spent the whole of Saturday evening in tears as the enormity of a decade of joy had gone full circle inside my head.

Xandar

Good stuff, one edit just for accuracy. I did not actually descend past that upper deviation as I could reach the rope below it. I simply put my pulley on the same anchor as the deviation and pulled the rope up from there on the relative comfort of the ledge. Its amazing how much rope I could fit on that small ledge without it all falling off on the other-side. Me and Don were sharing a jammer for the exit.

Rigging: Mike/Shaman? Alex
    De-rigging: Chris/Dan

Don
    Participant

You ALSO forgot to mention the in-situ traverse line at the top of the final 6m pitch that led around a corner into what was presumably North Chamber. I was the only member of Team Tiger brave enough to follow the traverse line into a passage full of very pretty, massive straws, some of which were at least 10’+ or longer.

You ALSO forgot to mention that there were several dangerous flood pulses as we were exiting the cave.

Xandar

You ALSO forgot to mention that there were several dangerous flood pulses as we were exiting the cave.

I think that’s why he’s insulting you on the other thread.

Don
    Participant

No, he’s insulting me simply because he’s a d***. He doesn’t need an excuse. A d*** with a sick and twisted mind.

Xandar

Don’t take this too far guys….

Remember public log book.

skyrmy
    Participant

Twas a good trip and my timings were impeccable – after a steady exit and walk off the fell, I arrived home at 15:45, a full 15mins before my ETA.
    I found Black Rift awesome (but bl**dy cold) and was glad I made the descent – only took me 10mins to get back up too – a damn sight quicker than some of you judging by the sounds of your escapades – forgotten jammers – must have been a classic “Oh F**k” moment LOL

Chris Sharman

Seen the straws before – yes, they are very fine.
    Thought I’d give them a miss this time to be out on time.
    I managed to leave my pantin in the car – good job it was only 80m.
    Spent a bit of time looking for the way out, too – took me a while to find the traverse just below the entrance pitch.

Cavedan
    Participant

Wanted to see the straws but it was decided to give them a miss knowing he amount of faff that would be required to solve my (idiotically) forgotten hand jammer problem. Also, it is a very appropriately named cave. Bloody cold at the bottom of the big pitch!

Xandar

Just checking anyone else ill, after this trip?

Don
    Participant

Nope. Why? What’s wrong? What symptoms do you have?

Xandar

Flu like symtons, but have mainly worn off today so going back to work. I had a high fevor, sick, slight cougth.

Cavedan
    Participant

Nope, I was fine.

Xandar

If everyone else is fine it won’t be Weils then.

Dunc

Why not? You may have been unlucky, maybe had an open wound or etc, so many factors. Chances are slim though, more likely your dodgy culinary skills :D

If you feel the need to check then type Weils Disease or Leptospirosis in to a search and be overwhelmed with results. If you do suspect it then make haste to your GP armed with information (it’s so rare they might not believe you have it).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login