Jackdaw Hole, 6th of December

Jackdaw Hole, 6th of December

Home Forums Log Book Jackdaw Hole, 6th of December

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Scaife
    Participant

On the UNCC Christmas weekend, I joined Black Rose’s very own Jonathan Finch for a trip down Jackdaw Hole. The cave is easily found in the tree-lined, fenced enclosure left of the Pennine Way, about five minutes walk past Sell Gill Holes. We rigged our 15m rope off a tree hanging over the southern end of the impressive shaft.
    From the foot of the pitch it looks as though there should be a huge cave beyond, but sadly not.
    The cave is very interesting though, with some muddy crawls, a traverse, enjoyable climbs and a narrow stream way.
    Afterwards we went to Scramble Pot, which some bastard has destroyed by dumping farm waste into the shakehole. I very carefully tried to avoid rusty barbed wire and decayed planks of wood in order to get myself a few metres underground. If there is a prize for the cave with the highest ratio of risk to enjoyment, I think Scramble Pot wins.
    Finch then jetted off to Northumberland, but I stayed behind and got drunk with a bunch of students. The following day I went for the excellent hangover options of Upper Long Churn, a very wet Wilson’s Cave and the very short Selside Cave.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login