Piller holes extensions? 12/03/2016

Piller holes extensions? 12/03/2016

Home Forums Log Book Piller holes extensions? 12/03/2016

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Xandar

Well four happy campers headed up to the cave where there was much faffing rigging hole one, which ended with the rope being completely re-rigged and put down a different hole within the hole. Anyway once sorted at the bottom we went down a climb into another aven chamber, that went no where. Never-mind back up the other way. We came to a old shored dig a bit of a sketchy climb down. This was followed by a rift past some jammed rocks rather awkward too. The way on well the way on was no where, there was no way on.

Obviously something has shifted in this cave as there was no second pitch down a rift or any horizontal passages never-mind the extensions we looked all over the cave the cave must have changed so there appears to be no way on! Best guess we need to dig the floor out below shored climb/pitch, the rain we had must had washed filled the way on with rocks. Or I guess we could have descended the wrong hole, I thought they all went to the same place, though?

Anyway with plenty of time left for once we went to the pub and then me and Don did a short 7 mile hike before it went dark.

Dunc

Long time back but I recall heading down slope from bottom of whatever numbered hole to arrive at obvious shored climb. This led to something – maybe a crawl – I certainly recall the way to the extensions being a crawl (possibly slightly wet) or straight on and dry leading to the ‘old’ cave..

Xandar

Well its not there anymore, I just checked the survey we were in the right place its just blocked. Not sure how bit a job it would be to dig it out.

Scaife
    Participant

This is Dunc’s logbook entry from 2012. It took me a while to find this so I’m posting it here for everyone’s convenience.

12th May 2012 – Pillar Holes
    After a brief discussion over food/drink, we decided to opt for Pillar Holes.. Parked up, packed up and slogged up.
    Mike rigged 1, ChrisSc 2 and ChrisSh 3. Down, along crawl over fissures to Breakdown Chamber, where we headed back and then along the scrotty crawl that lead to the extensions. Ended at Rift Climbs, Mike headed out for a SRT-athon, I waited for everyone else to go up then assisted by tying bags and helped push them up the climbs.
    I headed out as I felt like I wasn’t 100% fit.

From what the other four said, there was in-situ rope going up, short traverse then down a pitch with an in-situ rope, down a choke and drop (with rope) into a passage which became stoop/walk to the head of a 22m pitch,
    ChrisSh recounts his experience “I traversed over two easy holes to find no way past a third – they all descended the 22m pitch. I looked around for bolts or spits, didn’t see anything obvious. There were quite a few naturals around, but they’d probably make it quite an awkward get-off.”
    At this point everyone headed out and went for a civilised cup of tea and food in Ingleton.
    Dunc

Dazofcaving
    Participant

For a second I though you were the Long Kin East rescue

Sounds like one of those days :good:

Xandar

I was on that trip Scaif posted, and my memory also tells me at was at the bottom of the dig climb, though I do recall it looking quite a bit different lowerdown my guess as I said earlier is quite a bit of stuff has shifted. What happened in Long Kin East by the way?

Dazofcaving
    Participant
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login