Rumble in the Jungle

Rumble in the Jungle

Home Forums Log Book Rumble in the Jungle

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Scaife
    Participant

Rumbling Hole
    Saturday 23/3/19
    Cavers: Chris Scaife, Chris Kelly, Chriss Shaman, Mike Skyrme, Neil

Seven people signed up for today’s trip, so Don and Dan decided to abandon the main team and go down Short Drop, leaving Five to get down Rumbling Hole. It’s been a while since we had a Black Rose trip with three Chrises, but it’s been worth the wait. I’ve done Dead Bobbin before, but this was my first trip down the normal route. It’s a clean and enjoyable SRT trip, with no real difficulties but some entertaining pitches.

Chris Kelly rigged the entrance pitch – only his third ever time rigging. If you think that’s impressive, his friend Neil was doing only his second ever caving trip today. Both performed like seasoned professionals. The first pitch has that very exposed Y-hang rebelay just over the edge, then drops down onto a big ledge before a short traverse and another drop down, via a deviation on the far wall. Once off the rope, we made a mad dash under the spectacular waterfall and into darkness.

The next horizontal bit was all easy enough, following the water, then a free climb through a window on the right led to the top of the second pitch. I was quite warm at this point. The second pitch is split into two, with a narrow section half way down to get through to the rebelay. The third pitch followed immediately, with a deviation sling that popped off when Shaman pulled on it. Hilarious.

There was another very short horizontal section to get to the final pitch, where a rebelay kept us mostly out of the water, but I was cold by the time we got to the bottom. We all flew out like wild stallions, then sat in Whoop Hall for about an hour waiting for Don. He still can’t actually go inside because of the dogging incident, so I had to meet him in the car park.

rob
    Participant

Is that the same Neil from a few years back Mike?

skyrmy
    Participant

A fair representation Chris, but like to add Neil’s minor entanglement at the top of the main pitch, on his way out. A lesson in making sure you don’t have your hand jammer under the rope you have just changed over from – still, a few people would have panicked being perched on the little ledge, unable to get high enough to clip in, yet he still managed to lean out to untangle himself – a good effort :good:

Is that the same Neil from a few years back Mike?

No – one of Chris Kelly’s climbing buds. Our Neil is far to busy being a rock star these days lol

Chris Sharman

Good to know I amused you Chris – didn’t realise anyone was watching :)

Xandar

Chris Kelly rigged the entrance pitch – only his third ever time rigging

Really? He rigged the 1st 3 pitches in Boggarts last week, not an easy rigging challenge that is for sure!

caveraider
    Participant

Before that it was the bottom pitches of cupcake that were abit to tight hopefully getting abit better
    at getting that bit right now.

Xandar

I thought it was tight because we thought there would not be enough rope and did not want to take the risk. It was fun getting back up it a week later. It was certainly some technical rigging there!

Cavedan
    Participant

Myself and Don had a very pleasant little jaunt down Short drop to Gavel. We had intended to bottom Gavel as well but the through trip, though easy, took a little longer than expected and I spent too long faffing taking photos (now on facebook) of the rather fine Glasfurd’s Chamber.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login