Alum area, Sat 24th Sep

Alum area, Sat 24th Sep

Home Forums Log Book Alum area, Sat 24th Sep

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris Sharman

Don and I went for a potter round some of the more obscure caves in the area, while Scaife, Alex & John went down Alum (Dolly Tubs).

First up was November Hole – Don had done it before, but was keen to do it from the surface entrance, and I’d never done it. Don found the very tiny and almost invisible entrance without too much trouble, so in we went. Me first down the entrance climb and into the bedding to discover a lot of gloopy mud at the bottom. Don came down and informed me I’d gone the wrong way – reverse back out, turn around and head the opposite way – much more pleasant. A fairly short trip through into Upper Long Churn, exiting via Dr Bannister’s to head for Fell Close.

Fell Close is billed as “surprising”, with an “amusing” exit – after quite a lot of traipsing around the fell we gave up, having not found any of the four entrances. We did find a number of small holes body size or less, but none of them really seemed to go. On to Gillgarth.

Gillgarth was comparatively easy to find. We looked first at where the stream entered, which looked pretty small. A few yards further on there was a rift allowing easier entry, but Don headed down to the bottom to enter where the stream emerged. This was mostly crawling on sharp rock, with just a couple of sections to stand up in. Towards the top end it got lower and wetter – invigorating as advertised – first a wet ear, then a bit of spluttering before turning over for a few yards before slightly enlarging at the end, where I emerged into daylight. A bit of conversation with Don, although with both ears full of water I was considerably deafer than usual. I sat in the sunshine and ate my snickers bar before ambling back down the hill to see if Don had drowned. He was just emerging as I got there, having obviously enjoyed it so much that he reversed the whole thing, feet-first.

After that we ambled back, and had a little yomp down the churns and through the Cheese Press to warm up.

Followed that with a trot down Wilsons, where we caught up with an outward bound group.

And finally a look in the top of Diccan.

I wandered off to get changed, while Don went to hang around Dolly Tubs and look for the others.
    All in all, quite a good day out – spent a good few hours – not sure how much was looking for Fell Close.

Dunc

We struggled to find FCS top entrance but found another entrance. Didn’t stand out as being anything exciting and despite noting the amusing exit in the report I can’t recall what was so funny about it… :unsure:

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login