Crackpot and Fossdale Beck caves

Crackpot and Fossdale Beck caves

Home Forums Log Book Crackpot and Fossdale Beck caves

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Scaife
    Participant

I drove to Swaledale with Don and Carol, and we met Xaaaaandah at Crackpot for a quick trip into this very popular cave. After the short entrance crawl with the grand title, “kneewrecker”, we were into the main streamway, with several side passages to bring Don and Xaaaaandah some consternation. They certainly didn’t bring Don constipation, but at least he made it out of the cave this time.
    We then drove past the Buttertubs to Fossdale Beck where we explored the cave system with several entrances. There was plenty of variety in here, with free climbs, squeezes, thrutches, flat out crawls, surprisingly big avens; it almost felt as if this cave had been specifically designed as a training camp for honing our caving skills. A fun place if every nook and cranny is explored with no real there-and-back journey. In terms of passages, I suppose it’s like a Japanese meal: small portions but so many courses.
    #reddwarfquotes

CarolSmith
    Participant

A great day out. Crackpot is indeed a great cave to do with a cold. Exploring Fossdale Beck was fun too, thanks Don for the suggestion!

Don
    Participant

You forgot to mention the squeeze that Alex got stuck in. He was wedged in there pretty tight. Using his supreme caving skills, finely honed from years of doing tight passages, and with my assistance, he eventually managed to free himself. Only Alex could make a Grade 2 trip a Grade 5. ;-)

Xandar

Yes that was rather tight, I don’t think I got through last time. I was not stuck until you encouraged me to try again lol (I had managed to back out) But still it was worth it to say I had done it, and surprisingly I was not really bruised from that. I am however bruised from that vertical squeeze in Fossdale where I was suspended by my chest in mid-air.

Don
    Participant

Which vertical squeeze? Do you mean the one that I climbed partway up from the bottom?

Xandar

Yeh the one with the sticky out rock at the top.

Don
    Participant

If it was possible to shave down that knob of rock, that would be an awesome vertical squeeze to go down. I can’t think of any other squeeze like it that I’ve ever come across. I still think we need to go back at some point with a hammer and dig our way into that small aven that you and I found. It probably doesn’t go anywhere but it would still be neat to check it out.

Xandar

Probably won’t be going back there any time soon, the road going to the M6 was closed and I had to go north towards Kendal. The good thing was there was no traffic but in total it was a lot of miles from the cave to Bolton (110 miles). I feel sorry for you Don doing a long journey to get down to Inglesport or the like.

Don
    Participant

It’s 95 miles exactly door to door from my house to the place I normally park in Ingleton. It’s about time somebody recognised the efforts that those of us up north take just to go caving. Dedication.

Xandar

So 190 miles + (including journey to cave) that must be an expensive fuel bill. Its 60 – 70 mile round trip normally for me I guess, if just going back to my house.

Don
    Participant

I basically have to fill my car up once a week if I go caving. It’s not a cheap hobby, that’s for sure.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login