Goyden and associated caves

Goyden and associated caves

Home Forums Log Book Goyden and associated caves

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Xandar

With the day off I decided to join the Blacksheep diggers, as I was arriving earlier I was asked to re-rig a traverse but I got mixed up with the entrance names, so off I went down Frog, when I was meant to go down Thorpe. Only I could not get very far as I was met by a sump. I went out, got my camera and went back in and in that time the water had dropped 2 feet. I then met Ralf and we decided to have a quick look in Goyden using the alternative dry entrance as the main entrance was sumped and a washing machine. Once inside I took some photos of the mealstrom in there, but they came out blurry. We could not get in too far as the cave was sumped about 200ft in, just below the rock window.

Eventually we went onto the dig which was in the high level of Thorpe pot. The lid was not on the entrance meaning the water had pushed it out recently. Once in we were forced to kill time to wait for the water to drop some more so we could reach the dig. We waded across the traverse, no need to clip in provided you can swim lol. We then got down to digging. We moved quite a few rocks, each time I went back to the water at the traverse to dump the rocks the water was a foot lower. Eventually our dig broke through to small aven, where if brave you could stand up in, but the way on was a blocked rift. More work required. I then rigged the traverse with my donated rope which was glazed badly but is fine as a traverse line and we headed out after exploring up the inlet for a short distance.

Scaife
    Participant

How big was the Aven you found?
    The video you put on Facebook looked quite soggy!

Xandar

Not very big, just standing height, not really an aven I guess but the start of a walking sized passage which is unfortunately blocked by boulders and mud.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login