Meregill derig Fri 26th

Meregill derig Fri 26th

Home Forums Log Book Meregill derig Fri 26th

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris Sharman

This turned out to be a solo trip (probably my first and not approved by Sue).
    Got to the cave about 6pm – water levels quite low.
    I had 2 bags – my oversize bag, and Don’s.
    I left mine above the 55m. Down to the bottom in an hour, went down the main streamway as far as the inlet. The water was probably the lowest of all the recent trips, but there seemed to be a lot of fresh flood debris around.

Started back up detackling into Don’s bag – although actually the correct term is a tube, not a bag. Useless bloody thing needs burning, or something.
    Anyway, up I went, stuffing the ropes in (sometimes 3 times, as they re-emerged from the bottom). Found I’d misjudged slightly, so headed up the big pitch with Don’s bag full and a loose rope too. Sorted out the packing at the top, and carried on.

Wasn’t able to finish the job: the 2nd pitch is derigged to the top Y hang (all the rope is on the Y hang), and the 1st I’ve taken out the deviation.
    I ran out of bags, essentially, as well as energy and time.

So two ropes left for someone else to detackle (ideally before the weather gets horrible again).

Taken out:
    4 long slings (2 black with black+red tape, 1 black with green tape, 1 yellow)
    3 krabs
    28 maillons (16 black+red, 8 rusty, 4 shiny unmarked)
    14m white rope
    57m gold (marked 55m, needs chopping at 16m)
    31m gold (marked 30m)
    22m gold (marked 20m)
    41m gold (marked 44m)
    24m gold (marked 25m, needs chopping at 0.7m)

The first severe wear was just below the ‘tyrolean’ – not sure where the 2nd was.
    Will post pics on facebook.

skyrmy
    Participant

Good effort Chris – only just back from holibobs so sorry I wasn’t around to help. A mammoth task to have derigged so far by yourself.

The white rope + 2 maillons + 1 sling (green tape) are mine but can sort that anytime.

Don
    Participant

Quick update – Today Sharman and I derigged the final two ropes in Meregill. I’m very impressed that he managed to take out all the ropes, slings, krabs, maillons all by himself, particularly through the Aven entrance. That’s not something that I would want to do on my own. :good:

Xandar

Well don Chris and later Don. I feel bad for not de-rigging on Thursday as it seems it was possible to de-rig solo in an evening, but assumed I would be home too late. What time did you get home after the trip?

Chris Sharman

Arrived at cave 6pm, bottomed at 7, out at 11 – was ferrying one bag at a time near the top.
    Back to car, changed, phone signal 11.50, home about 00.30.

Don
    Participant

That’s a very factual response.

Xandar

Chiss, could you bring the yellow sling and I assume a pink crab along please to next meet as I know who that belongs to and they would like it returned, thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login